aisha's Reviews > The Republic of Plato

The Republic of Plato by Plato

Jul 20, 07

i have read plato's republic...three times.

and i've actually enjoyed every time, although i hadn't thought i would each round.

i love greek writing, and though aristotle and thucydides are my favorite, plato is a close second (third?).

even if you disagree with the ideas he presents, the ideas are fascinating to discuss. i actually kind of think it is way more fun to discuss when someone contradicts an idea or assumption made.

the dialectic style is one of my favorite aspects of the novel. as a fan of conversations, i think this has got to be one of the most essential ways of communicating and debating ideas (i take it with a grain of salt - i am aware that plato was able to manipulate his contradictors - is that a word?... - since he was the author, but still. i like it despite that.)

last, the allegory of the cave is sooo wonderful to me. i love the idea - and even though i don't fully agree / believe in it, it has been the springing board of many of my ideas of human knowledge, capability, and (most importantly to a media studies major) reality.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Republic of Plato.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Lambert Payne All People has freedom of personality,that's what makes us unique and closely from bits, to whole.God is nothing and everything.