Annabel Joseph's Reviews > The Cranes Dance

The Cranes Dance by Meg Howrey

May 25, 12

bookshelves: mainstream-fiction
Read from May 21 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy

I really loved, loved, loved this book, but I will say as a caveat that I used to dance, so the insanity and Kate's conflicts and inner torment all interested me very much and made sense to me. I can't say if it would resonate as strongly with someone who hasn't danced and been in that culture, but I will only say it knocked me on my ass, it was so realistic.

Aside from that, I liked the protagonist Kate. I related to her and I sympathized with her. She was very human, down to earth, self critical, and wonderfully, very whimsical at times. I loved hearing this story through her first person voice. A lot of times first person doesn't work in a story but in this case her voice was very strong and engaging.

The author's writing was also very skillful. I'm an author myself and there were several times a broad smile spread across my face because she killed something so completely, expressed something so perfectly. Almost to the point where I hated her a little. I kept finding these little moments in the book and I wished I could high five the author and been like, you ROCK!

So I guess as a former dancer, and an author, I felt a lot of engagement and joy with this book. I don't know if it would be a five star read for everyone, but for me, this is going on my keeper shelf of books I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cranes Dance.