Danielle's Reviews > The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories

The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories by Peter Haining

Jan 14, 2009

bookshelves: tidbits, non-fiction
Read in January, 2009

I know what you're thinking. For some reason, the publishers of this book didn't think literature would sell, so they geared the title and cover art to make you believe this was a collection of shocking-but-true ghost stories that would leave you with a good scare. So, if that was you're assumption, and you're thinking "That's not my thing" then let me tell you, you're wrong.
This is a fabulous collection of literature, that just happens to deal with the supernatural. (Think "A Christmas Carol" -- technically a ghost story, but so much more than that.) Authors such as Daphne du Maurier, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Henry James are featured, as well as other great writers I'd never heard of. The anthology tracks the development of the art of "ghost story" through the 20th century, beginning with classic tales of hauntings and ending with a supernatural story from 1997 that leans decidedly toward science fiction.
The stories themselves range from chilling to psychological, and from humorous to poignant. Overall, a compelling argument for not judging a book by its cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories.