Justin's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

May 23, 12

Read from May 21 to 23, 2012

Shiver was astonishingly good. Werewolves are another thing I am extremely picky about when it comes to them being included in a YA book, but Maggie truly did an amazing job with Shiver. I loved how she portrayed the Werewolves, how it wasn't extremely dark but you still had that subtle touch of darkness. And the writing... Oh boy, the writing. I can't even begin to explain how great of a writer Maggie is, even from the first few chapters I was hooked on the way she writes. Shiver is packed with amazing, what a great introduction to Maggie's writing.

As I already mentioned, Maggie did an amazing job portraying the Werewolves in this book. Sam, in particular was written extremely well. He really felt like a huge backbone to the story, not just because of him being a main character but just because it was so easy to connect with him. I've seen so many cases where you have main characters in a story like this that are extremely hard to connect to, and understand their role in the story but that's not the case for Sam or Grace. This story is pretty straightforward, once you learn everything There are a lot of fun and even suspenseful moments throughout the book that really help make the atmosphere really great, as you're reading. I honestly couldn't find anything wrong with the story as a whole though, everything was written extremely well as I have mentioned several times now and it all flowed together very nicely.

You already know how I feel about Grace and Sam... Amazing to say the very least. But there are also a lot of other great characters in this book that really makes it all come together very nicely. Olivia, Beck and Isabel are all extremely awesome in their own ways. I am leaving out a few characters from this review, simply because I don't want to spoil anything. But trust me when I say that even down the the smallest character, Maggie did a fantastic job breathing life into all of them and making them all extremely enjoyable within the story.

I am pumped to read the rest of this series. I am really anxious to see where Grace and Sam's story goes, and what happens to a few certain side characters. I am also interested to see what characters might be introduced in Linger, and what role they will play. After the events in Shiver, it feels extremely likely that there might be some new characters that might have some very important roles in the story, guess I will just have to wait and see. Needless to say, this is an amazing book and I highly suggest that you read it if you haven't yet.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.