April's Reviews > The Last Wish

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

Nov 01, 08

bookshelves: did-not-finish
Recommended to April by: N/A
Recommended for: Anyone who likes vampires. Anyone who likes standard fantasy.
Read in October, 2008

A book I’ve had on my wishlist for awhile, I was disappointed in Sapkowski’s Witcher story. As a work of fantasy, it’s fair. What I look for nowadays, though, goes beyond strong writing and into the realm of excellent characters and ideas that make you think. I thought this was going to be one of the latter.
Sapkowski’s Witcher seems vigilante, almost rogue. I don’t know if he’s the last of his kind, but his kind is at least rapidly dwindling. But as he does his job of ridding the world of monsters, he realizes that not all “monsters” are evil, and he has to make the choice of what to do with that knowledge. And deal with the consequences from the people who see the world in black and white.
But the Witcher does not have any personality whatsoever. I am reminded in some ways of King’s gunslinger, a man who has only his one purpose driving him, but King is one of the best. Sapkowski falls flat and manages to take the concept of characters struggling with good and evil and make it boring.
5/10. Readable, but meh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Wish.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Matt Just out of curiosity you did read the English translation correct? Just wondering because I find the English translations read pretty dry and awkward. Also, The Last Wish is sort of all over the place with its stories. In the later books, you get a much better feel for "who" he is and what motivates him. Also, a lot more characters are introduced and the focus is much less on just Geralt. Of course, they aren't translated to English, but I've read the Spanish translations of all but the very last one and they are excellent.

Jessc Try reading The Warded Man (aka The Painted Man) by Peter V. Brett. Not only does he create strong characters but also an entire world and society. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

April It was the English version, yes. Could I pick up the next one after so long and know where I'm at?
Thanks for the recommendation, Jessc. I'll put it on my (ever-growing) list of books to consider picking up. :)

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian Thompson You could very easily pick up "Blood of the Elves" without even had read the first,"The Last Wish" and really not miss anything. Blood of the Elves goes deeper into The mythology of who the Witchers are, their views of the world, and more. It gives the characters the personalities that were absent in The Last Wish. I'm only to chapter 4, but am enjoying much more.

If the first was just meh for you, then you may just like this one. It doesn't jump around and actually builds the story up rather than being a collection of shorts held together with a thin thread of a tale.