Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)'s Reviews > Touching the Surface

Touching the Surface by Kimberly Sabatini

Jul 18, 13

bookshelves: ya-paranormal-reincarnation
Read in July, 2013

One of the very best parts about being a book blogger is that I get exposed to so many books, often months before they hit the shelves. But one of the realties of being a book blogger is that there are so many books coming out every year, month, and day that sometimes you miss an amazing one.

Touching the Surface by Kimberly Sabatini is that book that fell through the cracks last year for me. I am so thankful I got a chance to correct that wrong.

I fell in love with the very start of this book. Something about the way Sabatini writes just reached out through the pages and grabbed my attention right away. I was utterly and completely under her thrall during this book. The main reason I was able to sink so effortlessly into this story is Elliott.

Call me a masochist or angst whore, but sometimes I love when a character is a little bit broken. Elliott is struggling. She is full of self-doubt and self-criticism. She’s dark and brooding and there are so many layers to her that even when I came to the end of the book, I was still learning more. But don’t think that this makes for a dark, depressing read. It just means you need to go into this not expecting hearts and flowers. Let Sabatini and Elliott sweep you away on this journey.

While reincarnation stories are frequently more miss than hit with me, I love the originality that there isn’t an endless supply of do-overs. It adds to Elliott’s desperation and helps propel the story along. It means this is her last chance to everything is heightened, everything is dissected.

Touching the Surface is a raw, lyrical novel that drew me in and carried me off on an amazing ride that I cannot wait to share with others. Sabatini is a gifted writer, and I cannot wait to see where she goes from here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touching the Surface.

07/18/2013 marked as: read