Matt's Reviews > I Am the Cheese

bookshelves: 2012-favorite, exceeded-expectations, read-in-2011-or-2012
Read from May 21 to 22, 2012

4.5/5

This is "Shutter Island" with Leonardo DiCaprio for teens. LOL

Robert Cormier was there and doing Young Adult Lit before it was hip. Long before J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins. Ya feel me, bro? j/k

This short novel plays with perceptions, memory, and switches effortlessly between first-person present-tense chapters and third-person past-tense segments. Also, a third, unique from of storytelling exists here--the recording between the main character and the "Doctor." Between these three avenues of tense and "feel", the reader is brilliantly given different angles and interpretations of the story and it stays fresh. Somehow, since 1977, this novel still feels super fresh. Like the Supermarket chain. For real.

I was surprised at how much I liked the pacing and the voice, reminding me of a combination between "Catcher in the Rye", "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime", with a bit of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and a splash of the films "Memento" and "Shutter Island" (in presentation of plot delivery).

An excellent book at a great length for teens. Well-written, tight, and only slowish around the three-quarter mark if I had to be picky.

Will easily be reading and recommending more Robert Cormier to people, but specifically teens 13-19. "The Chocolate War" is next on my list, and came out two years before "I am the Cheese."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Cheese.

05/21/2012 page 21
9.0% "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime meets Catcher in the Rye."
02/20/2016 marked as: read

Andersreads Cormier was one of the ground breakers.

Pete Rathburn I like your Shutter Island comment, but of course, Cormier did it long before Lehane