Grace's Reviews > Princess in the Spotlight

Princess in the Spotlight by Meg Cabot

May 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012-new, 2012-all, young-adult, ya-contemporary, library-manhattan, ebook
Read from May 23 to 24, 2012

Was it just me, or were there some changes between the first book and the second? The one that caught me off guard a little was that suddenly Mia has been in love with Michael all along. Which obviously I am not complaining because who WOULDN'T be in love with Michael, but that was not quite the impression that I got from the first book.

I'm also finding that I don't care much for Lilly. I don't remember that being a problem in the movie.

Anyway, this is still a lot of fun. MICHAEL AND MIA GET TOGETHER SOON RIGHT? (I say this as I am already 1/3 of the way into the next one...)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess in the Spotlight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katie Yeah, that caught me off guard, too. I think we're supposed to believe she was just in denial in the first book, haha.

Grace Well CLEARLY she was in denial, I can work with that. Some acknowledgement of that denial might have gone a long way for consistency's sake. (Although Mia is not exactly good with being aware of what is going on around her. Meanwhile, I am enjoying the ~understanding that Lars and Michael seem to have formed.)

Katie Yeah, her crush on Michael seemed kind of new-to-her at the end of the first one and then it was all, "I'VE BEEN IN LOVE WITH HIM FOREVER." (Although I guess that's not out-of-character for a teenage girl? Though, yes, acknowledgment of it would've been good.)

Ahahaha, YES, the Lars and Michael thing is fabulous!

Grace Yes, EXACTLY. (Hahaha, probably NOT all that out of character for a teenage girl, but it's weird for me because I WASN'T LIKE THAT AT ALL. And sometimes Mia DOES acknowledge things. It's not terrible or anything, but Mia did get a side eye from me when she first said "I'VE BEEN IN LOVE WITH HIM FOREVER.")

I seriously LOVE the Lars and Michael thing. It is THE BEST.

Jess My biggest complaint with these books is the nonsensical cultural references. Either these books are set in the late 90s or Mia is the slowest aging 14 year old ever.

Grace I'm noticing that too! Not a lot yet, but there was one point where Mr. Gianini's niece pulled out a cell phone but that is NOT something that was a big thing in the late 90s. Not for 14 year olds.

Jess I got my first cell phone in 2001. Because I went into the ditch. I was allowed 15 minutes a month. It really was a strictly in cases of emergencies thing.

But yeah, that phenomenon gets worse. Just so you know.

Grace Yep. I got mine winter of 2001/2002 when I got my drivers license. I was allowed to use it for emergencies only.

Haha, I'll be looking for it now.

Katie Yeah. I mean the cultural references always fit the time they're PUBLISHED, but, um, the characters don't age very quickly!

message 10: by steph (new)

steph I got my first cell phone for christmas 2002. It was a pay-as-you-go phone and I only really got it because I was always traveling/at practices for waterpolo and I needed a way to call my dad to come pick me up at odd times. I didn't upgrade to a REAL phone plan until probably my senior year of high school (four years later).

Now I'm really wanting to re-read this series. Darn you guys!

message 11: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess I mean, I get why it's hard to write backwards like that. It's hard to remember those pesky little details especially when it takes you a decade to write a series. But when you start with one set and end with another, AND THE BOOKS ARE TAKING PLACE MONTHS APART, it is really fucking annoying.

message 12: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess I got my first REAL cell phone over Christmas break in 2002. Because we didn't have a telephone in our apartment and there were riots over Halloween and my mom didn't appreciate me not staying in touch.

Someone needs to make me go back to reading this series. But I skimmed the next book I have and it's going to annoy the fuck out of me because of the obsessing about sex. Why does YA insist on ignoring the vast ground between sex and not sex?

Grace What's the next book in the series for you Jess? When I get there, I can motivate you! I have a feeling I am either going to fly straight through this or stall out in the middle.

Why does YA insist on ignoring the vast ground between sex and not sex?

I WISH I KNEW.

Katie I carried around a family cell my senior year of high school (01/02), but didn't get my own/for real phone until summer of . . . 2004, I think?

I feel these books actually might acknowledge that middle ground a LITTLE, Jess? In a vague sort of way. But, in general, I think it's part of the "YA has enough of a problem acknowledging sex" problem.

message 15: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess Um, Princess on the Brink. So I'm almost done. I just need to make myself do it.

Well, maybe. But then Mia offers up her virginity as a reward for not going to China or Japan or whereever in this book and I want to punch her in the face.