Lisa's Reviews > Deschooling Society

Deschooling Society by Ivan Illich

May 27, 12

To have my life long feelings about school be so beautifully articulated in a book, was affirming, exhilarating,mind blowing, and life altering.My heart rate was accelerated through most of it. My whole life, school has literally made me feel sick. I came out of high school depressed, disconnected, and lost. I have spent most of my adult life recovering from it. And I now homeschool my two boys, because I didn't have the stomach to put them through it. But deep down, I have always felt a little less than for not having a college degree. No more!!! My head is buzzing with Ivan Illich's vision. He wrote this in the 70's, but it is even more relevant now. School is robbing us of our humanity more and more everyday. The expectations are higher and the one track for everyone, has just gotten worse.

"We must rediscover the distinction between hope and expectation."
Hear, Hear!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deschooling Society.

Quotes Lisa Liked

Ivan Illich
“Most learning is not the result of instruction. It is rather the result of unhampered participation in a meaningful setting. Most people learn best by being "with it," yet school makes them identify their personal, cognitive growth with elaborate planning and manipulation.”

Ivan Illich
“School has become the world religion of a modernized proletariat, and makes futile promises of salvation to the poor of the technological age.”

Ivan Illich
“Universal education through schooling is not feasible. It would be no more feasible if it were attempted by means of alternative institutions built on the style of present schools. Neither new attitudes of teachers toward their pupils nor the proliferation of educational hardware or software (in classroom or bedroom), nor finally the attempt to expand the pedagogue’s responsibility until it engulfs his pupils’ lifetimes will deliver universal education. The current search for new educational funnels must be reversed into the search for their institutional inverse: educational webs which heighten the opportunity for each one to transform each moment of his living into one of learning, sharing, and caring.”