Kelly Hager's Reviews > Messy

Messy by Heather Cocks

F_50x66
May 22, 12

Read from May 21 to 22, 2012

This takes place after the events of Spoiled and is more of a companion novel than a sequel. Like Spoiled, there are two narrators. Instead of it being Brooke and her half-sister though, it's Brooke and Molly's best friend Max. Brooke decides that she needs to have a "blogographer," which is basically a ghostwriter for her blog. Said ghostwriter ends up being Max...which is interesting, because Brooke and Max hate each other. Of course, they end up getting along a lot better and also of course, things end up falling apart.

I completely love these books, which are the most purely fun novels I've read in ages. I'm sure a great deal of it is because of Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan (you know, the Go Fug Yourself ladies) and their uncanny ability to write the sharpest narration and dialogue possible. (You guys. There is a One Tree Hill reference in here! And it's a clever one!)

It's no surprise, then, that what could be the most stereotypical, one-note character is actually completely lovable. Brooke Berlin is basically every Hollywood starlet who got started because of nepotism you've ever heard of. But she also has actual depth and feelings; she's not just, say, a cardboard cutout of a character. And of course I love Max, because she is so smart and snarky and I love those people the most.

One thing. I really hope someone creates a real Brooke blog to work as advertising for this book. (Either the Max-written one or the one that Brooke writes herself. Either would be comedy gold.)

I don't know if there will be a third in the series, but I hope there will be. (Please, please let there be a third. And a fourth. And probably a fifth. And if one could have the dad, Brick Berlin, as a co-narrator, I think my life would be made. I imagine Brick sounds a lot like Rob Lowe in Parks and Recreation. And it would LITERALLY be the best book ever written.)

Recommended; these books are perfect summer reading.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Messy.