Jeff Williams's Reviews > Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game

Moneyball by Michael Lewis

May 21, 12

Read in May, 2012

I'd recommend this to just about anyone, especially baseball fans, but I think everyone can take something away from the book.

The one thing that resonates with me from this book simply was, there was a flaw in baseball. Not little league, not high school ball, but baseball itself. A game that is played in multimillion dollar ballparks in front of thousands of people - millions if you count those who watch it on television - and for years, we were not only playing the game wrong, we were watching and evaluating it wrong.

If America does that to baseball, "America's game," then what else do we do that with? We have factories that evaluate job performance based only on whether or not someone meets a quota, not whether or not they're showing up to work sick, tired, or even rewarding them when they double their quota. We evaluate teachers, not based on their methods or relationships built with students, but based on their student's test scores. We even evaluate our pastors based, not on the content of their sermons, but on the number of people sitting in their pews on Sunday morning. This book opened my eyes as to how people evaluate everything people do.

Moneyball just blew my mind. Baseball? Yeah, let's change the way we're doing things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moneyball.