Hannah's Reviews > What's Going On in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life

What's Going On in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in t... by Lise Eliot

208876
Aug 23, 07

bookshelves: currently-reading, raising_babies_and_children
Recommended for: expectant and new parents with children up to age 5

I only wish I'd found this book when I was pregnant. I hunted high and low for a book that would outline children's mental and social development in the first few years, and came up lacking.

"What's Going on in There" can be dense, especially if you don't know anything about neurology, which I don't. Sometimes I find myself flipping back and forth to keep reminding myself what the limbic system is, for instance, by re-reading the part where it's explained.

The general tone, however, is approachable for a non-professional and I've learned some amazing things about infants' brain developments in the first few years.

Not a requisite for informing parental philosophies, but a great addition for further understanding of what, literally, is going on in the brain!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Going On in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life.