Anna's Reviews > Bruiser

Bruiser by Neal Shusterman

F 50x66
May 21, 2012

Brusier by Neal Shusterman is an exceptionally well written novel. Shusterman completely snuggled into the shell he created for the book. However, I think this comfortableness created a lack of plot. Throughout the book, I felt no real climax and nothing that was really ‘over the top’. I appreciate the character development (which might as well be the main focus of the novel) and the occasional slapstick humor that uplifted the monotone plot. The character development made up for the plot, I think, because it’s so realistic that I think almost anyone could relate. After reading the description of Brewster, I was curious as to how Shusterman would portray his thoughts and I was surprised at how well it was exhibited. Using line poetry, Brewster’s thoughts were comparable to what others thought him as, different. I’m not a big fan of long poetry however I couldn’t stop reading once I started. Something that caught on with me after I have read the book was that the characters were portrayed way older than they actually are. Having just started high school, the characters seemed as if they were already adults in many ways. This aspect was positive though, because it really contributed to the deep insights given by the book and with the character’s personal development too. Witty, thoughtful, matured. Those would be adjectives I would mold the characters in. The ending wasn’t quite what I had expected, I felt that it was somewhat an open ending and I would have liked it to be more elaborated. However, this also gave readers more space to use their imagination. Overall, I felt that Neal Shusterman is an exceptional writer with the ability to bring impossible things to reality. His originality and unique sense of humor makes the novel Brusier a good read for anyone, and everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bruiser.