Ellen 's Reviews > PODs

PODs by Michelle K. Pickett

Jun 28, 13

bookshelves: blog-tours, arc

Eva was a normal 17-year-old girl, attending high school, going to the mall, hanging out with friends. Suddenly, the world as everyone knows it changes forever. A virus, incurable and deadly, swiftly moves across the planet leaving havoc in its path. The government has an underground POD system set up in which they plan to house people for one year, to give the virus time to run its course. The only problem is there are only a limited amount of spaces available. A raffle is held where participants are drawn by their social security numbers. Eva is one of the chosen. Leaving family and friends behind, knowing she will probably never see them alive again, Eva enters into her assigned POD, where she will live with 9 other people, people who she grows to care about deeply, especially David, who she falls deeply in love with. Unfortunately, love is the last priority the government has on their mind when the PODs are opened. They tell you where to live, what to do, and who you can see. The government also has been hiding something else. The virus didn't just die, it mutated, leaving behind zombie-like creatures who are vicious and whose bite is deadly. David and Eva must choose either a life of separation in the safety of the government controlled compounds, or risk it all to be together on the outside. It is said that love conquers all, but can it conquer the attacks of the infected?

I haven't found to many dystopian books that have captured my interest over the past year, and I am a huge fan of this genre. PODs, however, did capture my interest and I really enjoyed it. A good portion of the book is about the actual time spent in the PODs, which was actually quite interesting and entertaining. I loved seeing the relationships develop between the different characters, both friendships and love interests. It is amazing what all can happen inside a POD where 10 people live together. The romance that developed between David and Eva was great, and there were quite a few very steamy moments. There are also intense battle scenes and run-ins with the zombie-like infected, which are action-packed, thrilling, and instill that fear factor that keeps you on the edge of your seat. The ending surprised me a little, though I was happy about it. I am really looking forward to the sequel, The Infected, which is scheduled to come out in 2014. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and if you are a fan of dystopia, apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic, and romance, then PODs is definitely something you might want to check out.

Favorite Quotes:

“Will you, Eva? WIll you risk everything to see David? Because that's what you'll be doing"
"I'm not risking anything. Theres nothing here I want if I cant have him.”

“I wish I had your talent, David."
"I like that," he said with a small frown.
"What? That I think you're talented?"
"No. I like how my name sounds on your lips."'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read PODs.

06/28/2013 marked as: read