Heather's Reviews > Gold

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: adult
Recommended for: everyone
Read from August 09 to 11, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Chris Cleave does it again. This felt very different for me from his first 2 books - a felt a lot closer to the characters (for me, I feel like the other ones, you were kind of watching them from a distance). At first, I thought that made it a little more mainstream and less groundbreaking or something than the others. It was a lot more accessible, and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing. (side note - Interestingly, I bought this one in hard cover and the actual print was larger; I read his other two in paperback. I found myself wondering if that contributed at all to my feeling it was an easier read!)

Then, I kept reading...I loved the way he seamlessly switched between current day and the background of how the characters got there relationally, and how it became increasingly complex. I realized I was feeling really emotionally involved when I did NOT want to read at one point because the two main characters were going to race each other and I was nervous for them! I also found myself describing scenes to Mike as if they were real people. There were some scenes near the end, too, when I felt extremely emotionally connected to the characters, in a very real and not cheesy way (view spoiler).

I could have done without a little epilogue that detailed how they were doing several years later - I could have tolerated some ambiguity because it was so powerful. Other than that, I have essentially no complaints. Cleave is now one of my favorite authors and I look forward to the next one!

Book club friends, Brian, Kristen, etc., I have a hard copy if you want to borrow. I suggest you do!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gold.

08/09/2012 page 76