Shannon's Reviews > Giving Up the Ghost: A Story About Friendship, 80s Rock, a Lost Scrap of Paper, and What It Means to Be Haunted

Giving Up the Ghost by Eric Nuzum

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from July 12 to 13, 2012

High School is hard enough, but for Eric Nuzum who was haunted by the ghost of a girl in blue and invaded by dream premonitions it was even harder. His friend and crush, Laura, was his anchor with reality. Unfortunately she became another of his ghosts. Later in his life when his irrational fears of closed doors should have long been conquered he and two sidekicks take off on an adventure seeking ghosts to confront to put them behind him once and for all. Like so many irrational fears Eric’s point him to the real ghosts he should be hunting.
On a personal note…I grew up in small towns mostly in Ohio so this resurrected some of my own ghosts, but in a good way. I think everyone can relate to this story in some way, even if it’s just a little bit. For as deep as the story is, it is told in a way that didn’t leave me feeling like I needed to take a breather. There were tears I admit, (I get weepy easily so you can take that with a grain of salt) but there were laughs too. It really made me feel like calling up some old friends to talk about the stupid stuff we did. I can see myself reading this one again in the future and I will be talking about it for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Giving Up the Ghost.

07/12/2012 page 32