Cheryl's Reviews > Demons at Deadnight

Demons at Deadnight by A&E Kirk

May 26, 12

Read from May 21 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy

4½ stars - Aurora Lahey and her family just moved to Gossamer Falls, where she lived as a child, following an incident that happened in the city they just left. Little did her parents know that they were actually moving to a place that was less safe than the city because, not only can Aurora sense and see demons, they’re trying to kill her and seem to be gunning for her even more aggressively in the new town. On top of that, there are six guys, who locals have dubbed the Hex Boys, who are friends and who seem to think there’s something odd about Aurora. Aurora thinks there’s more than meets the eye with the guys, too, and wants to find out what they’re hiding. That’s on top of figuring out why the demons want her dead, why they keep calling her Divinicus Nex and what exactly that is.

I’d really been looking forward to reading this book and ended up winning a copy during the blog tour (from http://www.stinalindenblatt.com/). The authors went above and beyond by checking with their post office when it appeared that my copy got lost during the cross country trip and then, despite my telling them it was unnecessary, sent another copy. They were so nice I would’ve felt really bad if I ended up not liking it and had to give it a less than favorable review. Fortunately, that’s not a problem, since I really liked Demons at Deadnight.

Aurora was strong, funny, a little clumsy and self-deprecating (not to the point of being annoying), and she loved and wanted to protect her family above all else. As an aside, it was nice to read a book where the family was in it, especially the parents, who seem to be MIA in a lot of YA books. They weren’t a nauseatingly lovey dovey family, the siblings teased and even blackmailed (typical, “Give me a ride or I’ll tell.” stuff) each other, they were pretty much a normal family. The nice thing was, they weren’t the only ones. While not all of the family situations appeared to be rosy, a couple of the boys also had obviously caring families, as well.

I also really liked the Hex Boys. While I wanted to read it pretty much as soon as I heard about it, I wondered if six guys might be overkill and was worried all of them might be possible love interests. Like I said, overkill. However, that wasn’t the case at all and it was quickly pretty obvious which guy Aurora would end up liking. All of the guys had distinct personalities and were at various times funny, charming, suffocating and protective. Oh, and like people have mentioned, they were hotties. Bonus!

A lot of reviewers don’t seem to agree with me, but the one character I really didn’t like was Gloria, I found her constant sing songy thing annoying. Maybe if she’d been a bit more serious, especially given her task, I would’ve liked her more. I will give her credit for being able to deliver a butt kicking when necessary. Oh, and I didn’t like the rhymey names for the twins Ayden and Jayden. As one myself (a twin, not an Ayden or Jayden), it’s just a personal thing but it drives me nuts. Having said that, kudos to the Kirks for not making them act or be exactly alike, fraternal or not.

While there were no huge surprises, there were a couple of twists and I think the Kirks have more than one revelation in store for us in future books, of which I hope there are several. I thought Demons at Deadnight was a fresh take on demons with a lot of action, humor and pretty much great characters all around. Despite it’s size, it was a fast read, one of those books that made me really hope for a seat on the train so I could get back into it and I totally recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demons at Deadnight.

05/22/2012 page 186