Jen's Reviews > Plant a Little Seed

Plant a Little Seed by Bonnie Christensen

May 24, 12

Read on May 21, 2012

Originally posted at http://www.perogiesandgyoza.com/2012/...

I am not sure that the kids who participate in the urban gardening project in Plant a Little Seed see the land as quite as precious as those of us in overcrowded Japan do, but they do come to see both their effort and their products as precious when they raise a crop of goodies on their small plot. These two friends, along with their dog, rabbits, and moms, plant and mark seeds, then water and weed them, and after what seems to be an interminable wait, they harvest their bounty and have a feast. It is moving when they realize that their efforts have paid off and give thanks for both that and future growing seasons.

The bold drawings seem reminiscent of block carvings, and the heavy borders provide a textured and appealing feel. Christensen portrays so many emotions through the illustrations, and the boredom of waiting for a long-off harvest is convincingly done. There is so much detail in here, from the rabbit family to a raccoon hiding, to all the different parts of the plants over their life cycles.

I like that the plant cycle is shown from beginning to end, as this is one of the parts of our afterschooling curriculum for this year. It's also interesting to note how different a garden in North America is from in Japan- not a daikon in sight in this book! The end pages include extra information on the back of seed packages, a very cute way to showcase supplemental data. This is a bold introduction to urban nature for kindergarteners, which fascinated my kids while they were learning.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plant a Little Seed.