Michelle's Reviews > Vet on Call: My First Year as an Out-of-Hours Vet

Vet on Call by Marc Abraham

May 21, 2012

liked it

I read this after I read his Pets in Need book, which is a children's adaptation of Vet on Call. As a childrens librarian I read lots of children's and teen books, and my daughter loves animals so I bring things home for animal stories for her. So really this review is of both books :)

Pets in need is good, but kids who love animals want to read about the animals, and there's a bit too much information about the vet himself and his practice. It was superflous to the story, and I notice my daughter didn't finish the book. Maybe if we were British and know the vet - who seems to be a celebrity in the UK - that might have been more interesting.

The adult version fleshes out a lot of the stories, and for adults the setting up of the out-of-hours vet practice is quite interesting. The stories are sort of modern day James Herriot, without the sense of place Herriot imbues his stories with, and without the lyrical language. Abraham writes in a down to earth, more prosaic way. He does come across as a bit arrogant at times, but what I liked best was the chapter when he cocked up badly. It showed a little less confidence, and it's actually good to read about someone else's mistakes. This is terrible schadenfraude, I know, but we live in such an age of personality and people banging on about their successes in life it's good to read about real people's mistakes - God knows, we all make them.

So in summary - an undemanding read, which can be enjoyed by anyone who likes animals and a warm, unchallenging style of writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vet on Call.