Julia's Reviews > Deep Down True

Deep Down True by Juliette Fay

2095931
May 21, 12

Read in May, 2012

This is the story of Dana, the recently divorced mother of two children, who is struggling to come to terms with her newly single status. Over the course of the book she goes from being hurt and raw to finding a way for her and her children to move forward. She has to assume responsibility for herself financially, find a way to accept her husband's new relationship and to help her children to move on - as well as learning to move forward romantically.

I didn't particularly enjoy this book. Most of the storyline felt as cliched as the book's generic title. Dana was just too bland and perfect to hold my interest. Almost everything that came out of her mouth felt like how magazine articles recommend that you behave. Plus, the idea that she was this recently divorced woman who thought that it was entirely reasonable that her ex-husband should support her as a full time mother because she was just too busy looking after a 12 year old and 6 year old, didn't sit well with me. Nor did her inability to spot what a loser her boyfriend was or how passive aggressive her supposed best friend was. I kept waiting for some dramatic twist but it all unfolds pretty much as you expect it to.

I can see the way that the author tried to integrate lots of real life issues - eating disorders, teenage sexual pressures, suicide - but they all felt like they'd been deep fried in vanilla. The fact that it took me two weeks to read this book is indicative of its inability to hold my interest. It's not that it's particularly terrible, it's just...bland.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Down True.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Deborah Bussey Totally agree. Thanks for validating my feelings about this book.