Cmkage's Reviews > The Demigod Diaries

The Demigod Diaries by Rick Riordan

May 21, 2012

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-pnr, ya-na, audio-books, gods, 2012
Read on August 14, 2012

Luke's novella was my favorite of the anthology. It provided the reader with an interesting glimpse into Luke's character before he betrayed the camp and the gods. Interestingly enough, his disposition to turn against the gods was already clearly visible. Luke's hurt was so obvious.

But we also got to see how much he cared for Thalia and Annabeth. Knowing what would become of Luke made reading the novella bittersweet. But I appreciated the ending, which was incredibly cute despite Luke's destiny.

Percy and Annabeth's story was great because we got to see them as a couple. They got together at the ending of The Last Olympian, but since Percy gets abducted right at the beginning of the Heroes of Olympus series, we never get to see them together. Here they fight together, as is par for the course for these two, but Percy also has to worry about the fact that he forgot that he had promised Annabeth a special dinner for their one month anniversary. Add Hermes and his two snakes and a kleptomaniac, yet comparatively small giant and you've got lots of action, fun, bickering and a little bit of romance. I loved the story. Bonus points for the interview at the end.

Leo's novella was fun as well. It takes place during the build of the Argo II. Due to a mistake with Windex, the entire ship is about to explode and Leo, Piper and Jason have an hour to find a walking table and defeat a bunch of maenads. Lot's of action and Greek myths. Nothing new about the characters, but an entertaining read nonetheless.

The last novella, 'Son of Magic', was written by Rick Riordan's son Haley, who apparently inspired Riordan to write the Percy Jackson books in the first place.

I wasn't sure what to expect of this story, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised, as it turned out to be unusual yet fascinating. Unusual, because the main characters were antiheroes, yet in the end, I couldn't help but feel for them. Claymore was incredibly arrogant, which made it almost impossible to like him. But his one redeeming quality was that he felt sorry for the sixteen years old Alabaster and even seemed to care about him.

Alabaster had fought in the Titan war. Only he fought against Percy Jackson and the Olympian Gods, so that officially makes him one of the bad guys, I guess. Only, he wasn't really a bad guy. Misguided, maybe. Definitely angry, but you couldn't really blame him for that. He reminded me a bit of Luke. Essentially not an evil person, but circumstances have made him into Percy's enemy.

The villain of the novella was Lamia. She definitely was one of the monsters and evil, considering how she killed the barrister. Yet even she had her reasons. As Hecate pointed out, Lamia didn't have it easy either. I could understand how the goddess couldn't bring herself to take sides in her children's fight.

Anyway, aside from these interesting character studies, the novella also provided a few general answers. The mist was explained as was the reason why monsters can smell demigods. I found those facts pretty fascinating. Also, I laughed my ass off when the Olympian gods were described as 'divine mafia'. That definitely fits.

All in all, a great story. Can't believe the author is only sixteen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demigod Diaries.