Jesse's Reviews > Flush

Flush by Virginia Woolf

1432036
Jul 16, 2015

bookshelves: my-virginia-woolf-obsession, bloomsbury, brit-lit, literary-modernism, 1930-s, women-writers
Read in January, 2007 — I own a copy

After completing the groundbreaking experiment The Waves, Woolf “rested” by working on what she considered a mere trifle—a short novel that would eventually become Flush: A Biography, a version of the courtship of poets Robert and Elizabeth Barrett Browning as seen through the eyes of their omnipresent cocker spaniel. Using historical facts as a platform, what emerges is a witty and unusual take on one of the most famous real-life romances of all time, and even if it comes off as rather slight when placed next to Woolf’s other novels (particularly her later ones), it’s certainly one of her most lighthearted and irrepressible, and tremendous fun.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flush.

05/14 marked as: read

message 1: by Sketchbook (last edited Dec 31, 2011 07:33AM) (new)

Sketchbook Woof! I was unaware of this work. Tx--. (Many u.c. Brits look like their dogs).

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Sketchbook wrote: "Woof! I was unaware of this work. Tx--. (Many u.c. Brits look like their dogs)."

cheeky bastard. I have two fairly incontinent cats....I worry for myself

message 3: by Sketchbook (new)

Sketchbook Too funny! I wondered if my Liner would zap a response from you--. Now for my 11 a.m. wodka.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark enjoy. I am on my pre new year supper dry white wine whilst watching Agatha Christie on computer !!

message 5: by Sketchbook (last edited Dec 31, 2011 08:04AM) (new)

Sketchbook "Swallow, Swallow," said the Happy Prince. (Merde. I just couldnt help it). Cheers, 2012!

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie is it good or not

message 7: by Sketchbook (new)

Sketchbook Read his last sentence, count the number of 5 stars...