Stacy's Reviews > Mixed Bags

Mixed Bags by Melody Carlson

Mar 28, 09

bookshelves: books-won, christian-fiction, donated-to-library
Read in March, 2009

I normally really like Melody Carlson books, but I was a bit disappointed in this one. I understand that this is the first in a series of books for young adults. I believe there are going to be 8 of these books (The Carter House Girls series) all together, and I think 5 of them have already been released. I know that this first one was really just setting the stage and introducing the characters, but it just didn't grab me in any way. I do like the rating here at GoodReads - two stars is "just ok" and that is what this one was for me. Just ok, but I don't think I'm going to read the rest in the series. Normally, I don't like to read the first book in a series without reading the others, but my budget doesn't allow me to purchase the rest of these, nor do I feel like they'd be something I'd just love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mixed Bags.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Jolly Would you recommend them to a teen or do you think it would still be "just ok"? Just curious as I have a 13 year old that loves reading series. I always feel so disappointed when I read a book and don't like it :(

Sherry

Stacy Sherry - I've read several YA (teen) books and liked them, but this one just didn't grab me. This book just set the stage and introduced you to the girls that would be in the remaining books. I imagine it gets better, but I don't have the budget to find out! I'd have to buy them, as my library doesn't have any in this series.

If you'd like your daughter to give them a try, let me know... I only have this one book in the series but would be glad to send it to you guys :)