Paul Signorelli's Reviews > Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative

Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon

May 20, 12

bookshelves: creativity, writing
Read in May, 2012

Although Austin Kleon's playfully engaging new book jolts us all a bit with his use of "steal" in the title, his intent clearly is to help us understand that 'stealing like an artist' suggests a level of interaction with our sources of inspiration that leaves no room or encouragement for outright acts of plagiarism. "Steal" begins with David Bowie's admission that "The only art I'll ever study is stuff that I can steal from'; gathers steam with Yohji Yamamoto's advice to "Start copying what you love. Copy copy copy copy. At the end of the copy you will find your self'; and leads us to a list of recommended readings that should, if it is not already, be familiar to any of us interested in taking a creative approach to all we undertake. Along the way, Kleon leads us through his 10 thoughts on the theme of unlocking our creativity. And while much of what he has written is far from novel to those of us who have been exploring creativity for many years, the book is cleverly presented and serves as an homage both to sources he acknowledges and others he may not yet personally have encountered.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steal Like an Artist.