Sae-chan's Reviews > Battle Royale

U 50x66
May 20, 2012

bookshelves: japanese-writers
Read in May, 2012

I may read too deep into the meaning of this book. Hey, critize me all you want. I don't really care.

The moment Mr. Blondie (when I first read the name in latin, that's what I thought his kanji should read, so that's what stick to my head) said that that's what life was like -- Nobody is dealt with fair hand. Some are born poor, some are born intelligent, some are born bad, some are born to loving parents, and the list goes on as much as you can type-- I knew it. This is really a book about a game, the game of life, that all of us are playing.

So how do you play your game? None of us intentionally choose to participate, but here we are. You can choose to jump off the cliff and drop out. But as long as you are in the island, you have to play. Somehow.

Surprisingly, the way to survive is to trust (at least according to this book). But trust also has many possibilities. You can end up trusting a first-class actress. You can end up trusting a dumb-ass. You can end up trusting an untrusting person (funny, trust needs to go bothways). Sometimes past experience or rumor about someone can cloud your judgment. Sometimes you just don't have any base to trust or not to trust someone. It goes down to your gut feeling. And that's what you need to trust, first and foremost.

You trusted, you played well, you fought your best. You might lose, but with no regret.

My hero is the one who set his goal straight from the first and follow it throughout, no matter what. Doesn't matter that his goal is so different than others'. Doesn't matter that it seems so corny. And however vile was the world around him, he kept himself pure, true to himself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Royale.