Bill Thibadeau's Reviews > A Storm Hits Valparaiso

A Storm Hits Valparaiso by David Gaughran

May 26, 12

Read in May, 2012

I appreciate that this book exists as it gave me a quick summary of the struggle for independence of some South American countries. That was not enough for me to give this book a good review.

I think that this story of historical fiction is reminiscent of James Michener's two volume set of the beginnings of South Africa. That tome was enjoyable and dealt with the full history of South Africa.

A Storm Hits Valparaiso misses the boat in telling a thoughtful story of the independence of some South American countries. It is choppy and muddled. I found some chapter breaks in the middle of a continuing thought and at other times, dramatic changes were not chapter breaks.

This book takes on too many countries in one story. It would have fared better by concentrating on expanding the story to provide more continuity and depth of data so the reader may understand what was happening in a interactive manner. I felt the author was reporting to me on some aspects of history instead of living it with me.

There were also too many inconsequential characters. I would rather that the author would have concentrated the main people in the story. I found St. Martin and Cochrane well developed and interesting.

If you are a fan of historical fiction and would like a cursory history of the lower South American struggle for independence, then this may be a good choice for you.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm Hits Valparaiso.