Tori's Reviews > Eleanor Rigby

Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland

Jun 01, 12

Read from May 20 to June 01, 2012

"You have to decide whether you want God to be here with you as a part of your everyday life, or whether you want God to be distant from you, not returning until you've created a world perfect enough for Him to re-enter."

I got more from this than I care to admit. Loneliness is something no one wants to admit to and it's scary and sad to think of a person's life slipping away year after year with nothing to look forward to and no one to share happiness with. It's tragic and also very real. It's also a great fear of mine and most people probably.

I would point out how implausible most of the events in the book were; but it was so heartwarming and careful as to make some of the most outrageous things seem like a real possibility. Sometimes truth is stranger then fiction anyway, right? And i like to believe after so many years of uneventful life, Liz was due a big dumping of eventful events....Did that make sense?

FYI, I always pick identify pretty quickly an actor/actress to picture when ever I read. Melissa McArthy was Liz in my head...I think it's pretty genius if ever they make a lil movie :)

Liz was pretty strange but aren't we all sometimes? I have more love for a character that thinks differently (not cute quirky) than someone who has a one-track mind with no other peak inside their life and personality. If I just want to hear about a girls infatuation with some guy I can go to a Justin Beiber concert, am I right?

I also love the actual message that I got from it. I've heard it before but this said it differently and I appreciate that. Don't throw you're life away because you think this is all there is. Don't give up before you've even tried. Go after whatever you want. Whatever answer your searching for wont find you inside the four walls of your house. You've got to get up, go outside and look. Try something new, something you're scared to do, just because.

The alternative is not having anything to show for your life in the end. Whenever that comes.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor Rigby.