Peter's Reviews > Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President

Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard

M_50x66
May 20, 12

Read in May, 2012

I've now read both of Ms. Millard's books, and I have to say that her second effort is one of the better-written and edited books I've come across in a very long time. There are a litany of largely forgotten men who held the office of President of the United States between Grant and TR, and I'm now quite sorry to say that James Garfield was one of them. Ms. Millard brings back to life a true exemplar of the American spirit, and a man whose potential for greatness was cut short by an assassin's bullet and a series of medical missteps that we would find shocking and criminal today. She has a clear writing style that keeps you turning pages late into the night. Perhaps it's just a personal thing for me...but I particularly appreciate the fact that I noted no spelling and/or grammatical errors throughout her work - something that far more celebrated writers seem to have forgotten about over the past few years. I am now quite curious to see what or whom she's chosen as the subject of her next book. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in American or Presidential history.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destiny of the Republic.