Linda's Reviews > The Great Divorce

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis

May 20, 12

Read in May, 2012

I am a tutor and am currently working with a young man who goes to a Christian school. As part of his English class this year they have to read this book. If I didn't have to read it for him, I wouldn't have read it.

I really don't like C.S. Lewis. I think he's a little "uppity" in his Christianity and feel like he's proselytizing in all of his works. That's what I dislike most in religious people.

The only work of his I like is The Screwtape Letters and that's because I agree with the Devil and wish he'd had the success he deserved!

There are some very good descriptions of "characters" here. Maybe I should back up and give a little background.

A fellow finds himself in line for a bus and gets on. When the bus stops, it is on the edge of Heaven and the riders become ghosts as they step off. Spirits come to meet them to take them back to Heaven if they want. Of course, there are obstacles. The grass is like diamonds and cuts the feet. You can't drink the water or eat the food. But each ghost is given the chance to accompany one of the Spirits (often someone they knew in life)and cross the wide meadow to Heaven.

The great descriptions in the reasons the ghosts give for not proceeding to Heaven. "If I can't have him back to control him, I won't go." "If I can't paint, I won't go." "I'm not remembered by posterity as a great writer? I'll have to go back and form a group..." And so it goes.

So, if you like C.S. Lewis or morality tale, read on.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Divorce.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Lora I'm fascinated by your term 'uppity'. Are you referring to his confidence? Perhaps that looks like uppity in another light? I suspect it could very well be the case- he does not apologize for stating what he feels to be the truth. Or is it another aspect of Lewis? I'm curious, and wonder how I come across. Of course, with me, I'm usually apologizing for believing anything at all, worrying I'll offend someone. Because I'm like that, I admire Lewis. That's part of how I see it.

Linda I suppose what I mean is his incredible self-assurance. Once he converted, he never seems to allow any smidgen of a different viewpoint. He's not INtolerant as much as Atolerant, if that makes sense. At least that is how he appears to me. Although I don't believe, I don't try to force others to stop believing and I appreciate the views of others as long as they don't proselytize. I think we can have a good discussion on religion without trying to "convert" each other. We can go away with our own beliefs and a better knowledge of someone else's. Lewis doesn't proselytize, but he comes across to me as SO certain that he wouldn't even allow me my lack of religion. (I know that, historically, he wasn't that way because he had many "atheists" as friends.)So I guess you're on the right track, Lora, when you say his confidence, or perhaps, self-assurance. It comes across to me like the rich people who look down their noses at the rest of us.

Don't apologize for your beliefs. NEVER, EVER apologize!!! You have every right to them and if others are offended so much the worse for them. My cousin was the most religious person I know and you would never have known it, because she didn't go around making everything about religion. But she lived every moment in her faith.

Lora Thanks, Linda. I've been teaching my kids to be good, not to be nice. Being nice means for me being what others want you to be, and that's not honest.