LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131's Reviews > Stars & Stripes

Stars & Stripes by Abigail Roux

7192208
Jan 15, 13

bookshelves: adult, favorites, kindle, law-enforcement, m-m-romance, ty-and-zane
Recommended for: m/m romance, first time m/m
Read from August 14 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

~~~

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS QUOTES BUT I DON'T THINK THEY ARE REAL SPOILERS

I've said this before about the Cut & Run series; This is what I read male/male romance for.

"What?" he asked. "Y'all didn't know they was sweethearts?"

THE STORY

For me, this was a transitional book in the series. I'm not going to summarize this book but I will tell you Abi did something here that I wish authors would do more often; she allowed an entire book to focus on relationship and character building while keeping an engrossing plot in the background. I wouldn't want that in every book but when a series has been going for a while I think it's great to take a time out and focus on the world and pull it all together. Abi did this here, perfectly.

Having someone to be proud of was in indescribable feeling.

THE WRITING

Abi's hilarious sense of humor was everywhere in this book, making this sweet romance light and enjoyable and most worthy of a re-read, just to be sure you don't miss any of those pun-y references.

"Maybe spend a night in Beaumont."

Plus, this woman can write romance. Whew! Hot, hot romance.

"Hot is hot, baby."

If I have to criticize anything here it would be the uncomfortable (for me) use of the word, "baby". It was used just a little too often, but I'm sure that's a personal preference.

I flew through this book, it was so well put together. The editing was terrific and made for a zip-fast read with no slow spots, just perfect pacing.

THE CHARACTERS

Ty - "Ty's tanned face and a day's worth of stubble was possibly the most beautiful thing Zane had ever laid eyes on..." We love Ty 'cus he's a big, dangerous, sexy kid. And man, can he, um, Ride!

Zane - "I'm going to start calling you Tytanium." "That's clever." "I know." We love Zane because he loves Ty. He's darker, more contemplative and damn sexy.

Harrison - "Well, then. I guess we can't all be perfect." I really like Zane's father and I'm glad he has his horses.

Beverly - I don't even want to think about her!

Anne - Love her!

Chester - Genius!

The romance in this book is delightful. The action is quick and fun to read. The sex is as hot as Texas in July and Ty and Zane are so beautiful together that they'll stay with you forever. I love, love, love 'em.

"You sounded like you needed me."

~~~

Take a look at my Male/Male Romance Book Blog:

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stars & Stripes.

08/14/2012
0.0% "Okay, I've stayed away from everything; the boards, friends updates even the excerpts for this one. I did get wrapped up in the early release excitement though and it killed me to have to stay away." 2 comments
08/14/2012
2.0% "Smith and Wesson had awoken."
08/15/2012
40.0% "Sexy, sexy, sweet, sweet. Too much?
Nah!
#boutofbooks"
08/16/2012
70.0% ""Like the worst acid trip ever."
#boutofbooks"
08/16/2012
83.0% "Shoot!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alie38 Finally, I got to start it about 2 hours ago....and after waiting so eagerly....I am just not feeling it. I feel a traitor to Ty and Zane just for saying such blasphemy! Just think maybe I'm tired...will try again tomorrow.

LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 Oh gosh, NOoooo! Don't say it. *hands over ears, I mean eyes...DID NOT SEE THAT! LaLaLaLaaaaaa! LOL.

I'll catch up with you tomorrow then. We'll compare notes.
:D

orannia Am avoiding comments and reviews like the plague as I hope to start tonight!

Susan I think there are 2 camps: 1)I love the action and Ty/Zane figuring it all out or 2)I love Ty/Zane totally in sweet love w/ each other. Stars & Stripes is definitely more group 2...and SO AM I! I loved it!

Barb I freakin loved it! There was so much lovin and the action was so cute. These two are so adorable in this book and also hilarious. S&S was a perfect book to take a breather and enjoy a bit of fun.

Barb Susan, I like the action but I sure liked this one too because there was not too much action. I'd have to say this is my favorite book to date.

LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 Barb, before this one Fish & Chips was my favorite, but now??? I think this topped it. It was just SO MUCH FUN!

Susan Barb wrote: "I freakin loved it! There was so much lovin and the action was so cute. These two are so adorable in this book and also hilarious. S&S was a perfect book to take a breather and enjoy a bit of fun."

Barb, I told Lisa that you and she were the reasons why I jumped into M/M in the first place! I think there was some string of comments in a group that we were all on! Ha! Now, I'm HOOKED! Thanks for opening the world of Ty and Zane to me! Love you both! :)

Ilhem "when a series has been going for a while I think it's great to take a time out and focus on the world and pull it all together".
You give me matter to think : The 5th installment really unsettled me and I had a hard time following her without reservation.

Ilhem without reserve (?!)

Barb LisaT - We Are Qhuay! wrote: "Barb, before this one Fish & Chips was my favorite, but now??? I think this topped it. It was just SO MUCH FUN!"

F&C was my favorite before S&S too but S&S stole that spot. It's so funny because the first book, Cut and Run, really started out slow for me but I'm so glad I kept going like everyone told me to because once I got to the half way point, where the spark started, I was totally hooked.

message 12: by Barb (last edited Aug 20, 2012 02:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb Susan wrote: "Barb wrote: "I freakin loved it! There was so much lovin and the action was so cute. These two are so adorable in this book and also hilarious. S&S was a perfect book to take a breather and enjoy ..."

Aww...thanks Susan. It's always my pleasure converting a friend over for a good cause. I love it when people enjoy something I love so much.

Barb Ilhem wrote: "without reserve (?!)"

I think Abi has done a fabulous job on the series on her own. The stories flow so much better.

LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 I agree about the flow Barb. I was a little concerned about how it would "sound" but I am more enthralled than ever. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't sure if Abi would be 'want' to do romanc-y romance. Boy, I couldn't have been more wrong, right?

Now, she can just go right ahead and take me anywhere she wants to geaux. It's like a trust has been built. I don't want to sound like she needed to prove herself but there was just a bit of concern, I guess. No longer.

message 15: by Barb (last edited Aug 20, 2012 04:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb I was worried too when I heard she was continuing the series on her own but only because I didn't know what portion of the series she wrote and what parts Madeline wrote. I'd never read Abi's solo work and I wasn't sure if she was a turn up the heat author or one who skimmed over the love scenes and focused more on the action. Some authors don't focus on the romance as much or don't write hot love scenes. I even asked Abi before the first solo book came out. I'm happy to say she's proven she's damn hot in the love scene deparment.

LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 ...and damned funny too!

Susan LisaT - We Are Qhuay! wrote: "...and damned funny too!"

I agree. This one was not only the most romantic, but also the funniest. Some classic lines in this one.

Kudos Abi! Well done!

Barb Oh way more funny than the earlier books. I think the first book was so gritty but they started to infuse some humor more and more with each book and combined with the action and hot love scenes they're perfection. I think their humor is what makes them so cute together yet at the same time they're there for each other in the rough/tough times too.

LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 Thanks Secretobsession, I appreciate it!
:D

orannia Lovely review Lisa! I think I must be the only person not blown away by this book... :(

LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 Thanks orannia and Mariana ;) It worked for me!

LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 Thanks Dhes! Are you reading this now?

Sheri love all the quotes! *sigh* I miss this one...
fab review!

LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 Sheri, I'm reading this again, right now. I absolutely am enjoying it even more this time 'round :)

Sheri heehee, d was just talking about a reread :D
I adored this one.....

deirdre All right! As i ice my insNe burnt thumb, i shall go fi d this!!!!

orannia I still need to get to the next one...