Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Dec 11, 14

bookshelves: from-publisher, for-review, netgalley, dac-2012, young-adult
Read from May 20 to 21, 2012

ETA: re-read in December 2014 and bumped up rating to 4 stars from 3 stars. I'm still not in love with this book, but I liked it more upon re-read and connected with it more this time around.

--------

I think I can almost say for a fact that if you liked ‘Perfect Chemistry’ you will like this book. It definitely had a lot of elements that reminded me of that book and that series. I enjoyed reading this book, particularly because the relationship between Echo and Noah felt real to me. I loved how even though there was some instant attraction, once they were pushed together their relationship took time to develop. Sure, some aspects were quick, but I liked that there was some back and forth and not just an instant relationship.

I also really enjoyed the dual POV. Sometimes it’s hard to distinguish between narrators, but I always felt like Noah and Echo were complete individuals, and I never had to try and remember who was narrating. I also appreciated how even though these characters were living through some terrible situations, the book was never purposefully dark. There’s drama (bordering on too much drama, actually), but there are still some lighter moments, and it always felt like the characters wanted to move forward and get better.

Overall I enjoyed this one and would recommend it. By reading other people’s reviews I can see that ratings are all over the place, and I can understand some of the issues people have had with it (namely too much drama, and too little trying to work things out reasonably), but I can honestly say I wasn’t bothered by these things when reading it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushing the Limits.