Lisa's Reviews > Captive in the Dark

Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts

May 20, 2012

bookshelves: loved

Captive in the Dark is one of those books that went deep down in my heart because of the subject matter. I felt like I shouldn’t like it because of what it was about but upon further thought, I picked the book up knowing what it was about and, therefore, I am left to judge it purely on execution. It was brilliant, dark, and full of a wide range of emotions between two broken souls.

To me this book was about the choice between a man’s love for a woman and his loyalty to a man who saved him from a tortured childhood and the revenge both men sought for the wrongs against them. At times it was so dark, I had trouble reading and needed to take a break to process and yet there were times that were so beautiful as two people who were so broken saw sides of themselves that they didn’t know existed. There were so many emotions running through me while I read this one. I felt sadness for both main characters, anger at Caleb for what he was doing to Olivia, and then hope that through the whole ordeal there would be some healing for the two of them.

Caleb choose Olivia because she appeared weak and poor and while the latter was true, I did not see her as weak. She was lacking love and acceptance which left her damaged but she had a certain defiance to her that came out many times during her captivity. She was afraid but yet brave. Her mother let her think some very negative things about herself; Caleb, out of all people, was the one telling her that these things are not true. During her time with Caleb she becomes stronger, realizing that she has more control of herself and her future than she was giving herself credit for.

Caleb, Caleb, Caleb – I am just not sure what to think of you! I have to admit that I did not like him at all for the first half of the book. Don’t get me wrong, he played the part his character was meant to play well but the things he did were unspeakable! As I learned more about him and his past, I began to soften a little bit. I can imagine the things that happened to him taught him to separate his feelings from his actions. While I cannot totally understand what Caleb did, I think I understood how he got to that point. He started to soften more and more toward Olivia and although he hasn’t completely redeemed himself for me, I am hopeful he may do just that in book two!

I don’t know if these two should have a real relationship but at this point they need each other. I have so many unanswered questions after finishing this one but I guess that is what book two is for!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive in the Dark.