Barbara's Reviews > We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Jul 20, 07

bookshelves: absolutefavs
Read in July, 2007

I don’t know where to start about this book. Disturbing? Terrifying? Sad? Brilliant! I could not put this book down from the minute I started it.

We Need To Talk About Kevin is from Lionel Shriver. I have never read one of her books before but this book was listed on the Staff Selection shelf at my local Chapters. (staff picks at my local Chapters haven't let me down yet) It grabbed me from the first page.

The story is told from a mother whose is trying to come to terms with the school massacre her son committed two years ago. Each Chapter is another letter written by Eve (the mom) who flashes back to her son Kevin growing up and the aftermath of his actions as a 15 year murderer.

Reading this book, you try and find somebody to blame for the outcome of the situation. Eve. Could Kevin’s actions and personality be due to the fact she never really wanted to be a mom and Kevin sensed it? Her career was more important than nurturing her son? Kevin. Is he just a bad seed? Some people are just born evil. Franklin. (the dad) Not supporting his wife actions when trying to deal with Kevin’s actions growing up? Not showing his love enough? Being a friend and not a role model? I honestly can’t tell you. I think it would be an easy out to try and blame just one person or situation. This book is far too good. It leaves you thinking……

The chapter where you actually here the description of events of “Thursday” is beyond terrifying. I was reading this portion on the bus on the way home and I had to sit in my car until I finished reading the chapter. I couldn’t pull myself away even if I tried.

I highly recommend this book. You will not be disappointed by it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Need to Talk About Kevin.