Mary's Reviews > Wool Omnibus

Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey

May 26, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, sci-fi, kindle
Read in May, 2012

I loved "WOOL"! (And being a knitter, the title didn't bother me one bit). Great sci-fi always creates a world so well developed that you feel like you are living there. I could feel my feet hit the rungs of the spiral staircase reaching throughout the 147 levels of the Silo where survivors of the last atomic war have survived for hundreds of years; living like worker ants beneath the surface of a barren scorched earth. Here in Silo 18, the inhabitants are stored like seeds waiting for the future moment when the earth’s atmosphere will be safe enough for them to go forth and repopulate the world. Wool 1 opens with a "cleaning" and we slowly grasp what happens to those residents who question those in authority. The novel's setting is mesmerizing; the characters are carefully drawn with multilayered personalities. Fans of the Hunger Games who are hungry for more great dystopian fiction will not be disappointed! Wool has already been optioned by Fox. In the meantime, I will be looking forward to reading more of Mr. Howey's fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wool Omnibus.