Liz's Reviews > The Death of the Heart

The Death of the Heart by Elizabeth Bowen

May 20, 12

bookshelves: time-s-top-one-hundred
Read in May, 2012

The death of the heart is a story of a teenage orphan named Portia, set sometime between the 1930's and 1940's. ( I forget.. ) Portia, after her Mother's death moves in with her half brother Thomas and his wife, Anna. The latter, whom seems very rigid and controlling, sets Portia's downfall you could say. But that probably would have happened anyway, with a teenager involved.
Portia is, the over wrote, obvious awkward teenager and ends up falling in love with Anna's friend Eddie. Eddie being stupid, flirts with Portia, but has no real feelings for her and when Portia wants something more, Eddie finds the gull only to say that he and Anna are lovers, which is untruthful! Just to get her off his back. When Portia is told that Anna has been spying on her the entire time she's lived with her family, Portia runs from one family friend which was Eddie, to another by the name of Major Brutt.
Portia tells her plight, and he sends for her family to take her... and oh, the story ends just when someone is being sent to bring her back to her home.

Not the least bit interesting... very saddening and a waste of time to read better books.
One quote I like, that I had to find online is :

“A romantic man often feels more uplifted with two women than with one: his love seems to hit the ideal mark somewhere between two different faces.”

And this, I happened to like :

" very young people are true to the earth, like the senses of animals; they feel, but without conflict or pain. "

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death of the Heart.