Martin's Reviews > The Map of the Sky

The Map of the Sky by Félix J. Palma

May 24, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, london
Read from May 20 to 24, 2012

It is always with a bit of trepidation that I start a second novel by an author whose debut I really really enjoyed. Happily, 50 or so pages in to his second book, he's just as good if not better. Same odd narrator, same wonderful writing.

It's not a perfect metaphor, but reading a new book by an author you love, is like slipping into the embrace of a lover you have not seen in a while.

Into part two, and Mr Palma never ceases to amaze. Finished his tribute to the Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym. And thus endeth the description, since spoilers would ensue. Suffice to say, MOTS is every bit as enjoyable as his first novel. And I am going to have to improve my Spanish, because if all Spanish speculative fiction writers are this good, then I am missing out on a lot of books.

Finished today. I think the thing I enjoy about Mr Palma's books is how much fun he seems to have writing them. They are a genuine pleasure to read. HG Wells comes across as a very nice man-even if I don't care for his books. I'm really really looking forward to anything else by him that comes across my counter.

I can without hesitation recommend this book to anyone who enjoys science fiction or historical fiction. While reading the first book is recommended, it is not necessary. And what a great ending.

Seriously, buy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map of the Sky.