Jaron's Reviews > Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain

M 50x66
Sep 05, 12

Read from August 24 to September 04, 2012

This book's got it all: love, war and football. Isn't that all a book needs in order to be a "great American novel?"

It's got some pretty great writing, too, some very lovely and philosophical passages that take what could be a bit of a tired theme (How we reconcile and justify our consumer society against the greater backdrop of the Iraq war) and elevate it to something more -- something great.

The main story takes place all during one day, although plenty of flashbacks fill in the gaps and help create a narrative out of a premise that at first seemed, to me, to be better suited to a short story format. In some ways, this novel feels like a long short story, a day in the life of Billy Lynn. He's a famous (due to some gritty Fox News footage) Iraq war hero who is being used by the Bush administration as a pawn to shore up support for the war. The day of the story, he and his squad are to be honored during halftime of a Dallas Cowboys game. The dark humor and original writing style were highlights for me, and the only real misstep, in my opinion, was a too-long flashback illustrating Lynn's dysfunctional family life.

On a side note, if you are interested in reading this book, I don't recommend reading the Goodreads description, as it gives far too much away (in my opinion).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.