Smilingplatypus's Reviews > Arranged

Arranged by Catherine McKenzie

May 20, 12

bookshelves: fluff
Read in May, 2012

This was a fascinating concept -- a successful, independent woman gets fed up with her failed romances and signs up for an arranged marriage service. It turns out to be light and predictable, with fairly shallow characters (in terms of development, and only sometimes in terms of personality), a bland romance, and an obvious "plot twist" towards the end.

It wasn't bad, don't get me wrong: but it was a bit like eating "empty calories" in that it's rather fun while you're reading it, but afterwards you feel kind of guilty and you want to pick up something with more substance. Overall it was a decent summer read. Enjoyable, but fluffy and forgettable.

That being said, I had better put all my cards on the table and admit that I very rarely read romances because they aren't really my cup of tea. (Other than Jane Austen, but I make an exception for her and her snark.) I will give this book credit because it didn't make me cringe and it stayed away from being overly sappy. So it is more than likely that people who are more in tune with the genre would love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arranged.