Steven Peterson's Reviews > The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times

The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times by Joe Levy

May 20, 12

Any publication that promises to deliver the 500 Greatest Albums of All. Time is going to face a lot of questions. Fans of one group or another that don't make the list are going to be aggrieved. Or people will disagree about how high or how low a selected work rates. If nothing else these simple facts are going to lead to people discussing this compilation of the best albums of all time.

For one thing, it is simply fun to see how many albums one recalls are listed. It is cool for me to recognize all of the top ten albums (although I am not sure that I would rate Beatles' albums as four of the top ten, but--of course--that kind of questioni8ng is a part of the pleasure of this). At the other end of the rankings, from 450 to 500 are some real gems: The Police, "Synchronicity"; Elvis Costello and the Attractions, "Armed Forces"; Mott the Hoople, "All the Young Dudes"; B.B. King, "Live in Cook County Jail"--and so on.

A couple comments. First, some classic blues albums are mentioned--but there are some stars in that firmament who do not show in the ratings. Second, some early greats in rock and roll don't appear--such as Chubby Checker.

Still, these are quibbles. I admire the chutzpah of “Rolling Stone” to try to pull this caper off! I end up enjoying looking at the ratings and questioning or accepting specific choices.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times.