Allizabeth Collins's Reviews > One More River

One More River by Mary Glickman

May 20, 12

Read in May, 2012

Review:

Mary Glickman's newest novel One More River tackled a story-line that I had not heard before – Jewish men trying to make their own way in the deep south of Mississippi. The story jumped back and forth between the life of Mickey Moe in the1960's to that of Bernard – his father around the 1920's/1930's. Both men embarked on journeys of discovery that affected them, and their children, for the rest of their lives; each story brimming with beautiful dialect and descriptions. I really enjoyed the characters, especially Mickey Moe and Laura Anne, their parental defiance setting the tone for the entire book. I also liked reading about Aurora May, one of my favorite characters, (no spoilers). Both story-lines come together to solve one mystery, and the level of detail left me reading all night. Unfortunately, my biggest pet peeve was no quotation marks! I do not enjoy having to figure out who is conversing, particularly when a book goes between different sets of characters and/or times. I think that the whole story would flow better with a more practical quotation method (“”). Overall, I found One More River to be a realistic family saga filled with nostalgia for down-home southern comfort. Recommended for historical fiction lovers, or those wanting to experience the South of the 1920's through 1960's.

Rating: Bounty's Out (3.5/5)

*** I received this book from the author (Open Road Integrated Media) in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One More River.