Herzog's Reviews > Robert B. Parker's Lullaby

Robert B. Parker's Lullaby by Ace Atkins

May 20, 2012

bookshelves: mystery, series
Read in May, 2012

Thank you Ace Atkins! Since I've been reading this series for some 30 years and it is the series that got me hooked on this genre (along with John McDonald's Travis McGee series), it is an understatement to say that I was apprehensive about another author continuing to write it. Not only does Atkins succeed, I think that, to some extent, he actually surpasses Parker. The Parker books were uneven, although there was always a chuckle or two. I always viewed them kind of like eating a candy bar - immediate, transitory gratification. Lullaby felt more substantive. There was lots of great dialogue. He worked many of the series regular characters - Susan, Hawk, Rita Fiore, Quirk, Vinnie, Belson. He displayed an excellent grasp of the series history with references to Paul Gianconin. I thought that his use of Mattie was a great touch as it plays so well to Spenser's character. He even stretched it out a little with his reference to Hawk's background. Some might view that as a betrayal of Parker's legacy, but I think that it added just the right touch. I'll look forward to reading the next installment. Now, if someone of Atkins caliber would pick up the Travis McGee mantle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robert B. Parker's Lullaby.

Wanda I am so glad you have read the new book. Tom Selleck and his writer pal have been keeping the Jesse Stone series for TV alive but
something is missing even though they are quite good (I just like looking at Selleck lol).
I am also awaiting the new Lee Child book The Affair. Reacher is the closest to Travis McGee we have had in a long time...I am in love again!!!