Abigail's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

May 20, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi, historical-fiction, mystery, series
Read in May, 2012

I remember seeing this book when I worked at B&N, but I was never intrigued enough by the cover to even investigate what it was about. However, when I was on my Nook browsing e-book deals, this one came up for $.99 and this time I read the synopsis and was sufficiently enticed to spend a dollar to read it. I was very pleasantly surprised.

The book is set in a warped history version of Victorian London, in which werewolves, vampires, and ghosts are accepted members of society and the represented in government. Main character, Alexia, is also special in that she has no soul and when in physical contact with the supernatural renders them normal humans.

Embroil said heroine in a vampire murder followed by vampire and werewolf disappearances and mad scientists as she still must keep up societal appearances and deal with a developing relationship with the local Alpha werewolf and sit back to enjoy.

This book is best appreciated if you have experience with Gothic novels, Victorian sensibilities, and a love of fantasy. The characters are fun and very funny, especially incidental characters who are treated and developed well.

The plot is a bit loose, but it's a pretty short book and more a comedy of manners than a true mystery making that particular flaw very forgivable. It is compulsively readable and I very much want to continue with the series and these characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.