Jack Meredith's Reviews > Skeleton Key

Skeleton Key by Anthony Horowitz

M 50x66
May 20, 2012

Skeleton Key is a thrilling story about a teen spy named Alex Rider who is back to save the world once again. This is the third book in Anthony Horowitz’s adventurous Alex Rider series. This book is 324 pages of adventure and mystery. The story starts off with Alex in London for the world renowned Wimbledon tournament. Alex is told to be disguised as a ball boy so that he can further investigate a Chinese gang that is suspected to be fixing tennis matches. Alex is able to stop the plot but he is soon targeted by the gang while on vacation and is nearly killed while surfing. Alex’s agency (M16) is concerned this will not be the last of the attacks on Alex, so they send him off to a Cuban island called Skeleton Key to investigate a man named Alexei Sarov. Alex learns that Sarov purchased nuclear weapons and is planning to drop a nuclear bomb on a Russian city in attempt to force the President of Russia out of power, and take over Russia. Alex is in a race with time to save the world and it will come closer to downfall than ever.
The plot of this story is similar to when the U.S. dropped the atomic bomb on Japan to try and take over and end the war once and for all. General Sarov is trying to end Russia’s world power for good. This book was very well put together with a lot of action and drama, and made me not want to put the book down. Besides that, the books plot changed in the middle of the story and it left me confused at some points. Horowitz style of writing really changes the book. Horowitz always writes with a lot of detail and emotion and he didn’t fail to do that in this story which is why this book was so thrilling.
I really enjoy how Horowitz keeps on coming up with great ideas and makes me want to continue reading the series. Horowitz makes it seem as if Alex is a real person by the way he describes his actions and his thoughts. I also really liked how it was written with a ton of detail it made me feel as if I was where Alex was throughout the story. I didn’t like how Horowitz started the story off slow as he does in most of his books. If he didn’t start the book off as slow this book would be perfect. I give this book 4/5 stars and I would recommended this book to people ages 10-15. This was one of the better books in the series and I will plan on reading the rest of the series after this one, and I hope you will too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skeleton Key.