Don't Stop Reading's Reviews > Midnight Promises

Midnight Promises by Sherryl Woods

U_50x66
Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, series, south, paperback, sweet-magnolias
Read from July 21 to 25, 2012

I enjoyed this latest installment of the Sweet Magnolias series. I remember wanting to know more about Elliot & Karen when their romance was first introduced. Their story was primarily about Elliot learning to communicate as a partner in marriage and Karen learning to overcome her financial insecurities caused by her first husband's abandonment. The side stories, about Adelia, Elliot's sister, and Frances, an older friend of the Cruz family, kept my attention without being distracting. That is one thing I love about Sherryl Woods' series--that she keeps me interested in multiple characters whose lives are interconnected.

Even though it is a common theme in all the books, one thing that bothered me about the book was the unrealistic portrayal of the husbands when they get together and the so-called "crazy" margarita nights. Other than the presence of alcohol at an adult get-together, I just don't see what's so "wild" about these seemingly normal girls' nights in. Also, whenever the husbands of the Sweet Magnolias get together, their conversations seem so...not like the guys I know. I can't put my finger on it. It's not like I expect them to cuss all the time and hang out at strip clubs, but they seem to be so tame and always seem to be warning the hero of the book to watch out for those crazy Sweet Magnolias! They're loyal to each other, so don't anger them or their friends!

Overall, I kept picking the book back up because I wanted to know what happened next. I can't wait to read the next one, because despite the recurring annoyances I described above, the plots and characters always keep me engaged.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Promises.

07/22/2012