Emilie's Reviews > Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected--A Memoir

Bloom by Kelle Hampton

May 22, 12

bookshelves: a-to-z-2012
Read from May 20 to 22, 2012

I have never read Kelle's blog, but read her blog post about giving birth to Baby Nella and was inspired. Her writing style certainly wanes as the book progresses from there, but not to a point of being called bad....just a little weak. There were so so so many metaphors that it became redundant. Seeds sprouting and blooming, floating downstream, etc, etc.

I really enjoyed Kelle's honesty. Her difficulty in dealing with her daughter's diagnosis was refreshing in a world where I feel women, especially Moms, are supposed to smile and accept every challenge as a special blessing. We rob ourselves of mourning when we slap a smile on our face and mourning is a part of life.

I have heard others complain that this book is too much about Kelle herself and not about her daughter. I think those reviewers may have misunderstood the intention of the book. It's Kelle's memoir. It's a book about a mother's struggle to let go of her notion of perfection and deal with the loss of what her expectations were. And the author did that well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloom.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Erin I'm now interested in reading this. My daughter was born with a fairly severe birth defect. She is just fine now, but it was an extremely difficult time when I first found out at the ultrasound. The worst part is that I didn't feel like I could be upset or mourn. Everyone wanted me to be so happy and see that it could be so much worse. There was truth to that, but it also could have been better! It's important to recognize the need to grieve and that it doesn't make someone weak or ungrateful.