Megan's Reviews > The Other Queen

The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory

Sep 30, 08

Read in September, 2008

As an avid reader of Philippa Gregory's historical fiction, I was very excited for this book to hit the shelves but I ended up being somewhat disappointed with it. The book takes place during the time of the house arrest of Mary, Queen of Scots. The story is narrated from three viewpoints-Mary, her guardian George, Earl of Shrewsbury and his wife Bess. At first, newlyweds George and Bess are honored with Queen Elizabeth asks them to house Queen Mary and her court after her trial in London until she can be escorted back to her throne in Scotland. This grand honor turns out to be a burden on their marriage, finances, and eventually puts their lives in danger as their home becomes a hub of treason and plotting against the Queen Elizabeth and the safety of England. With the setting of the book being primarily the homes of Bess and George, most of the story consisted of action happening elswhwere and the characters just hearing about it and reacting to it. Meanwhile, I did not find Mary, Bess, or George to be particularly likable characters. The story was too bogged down with Bess worrying about money while George played the faithless husband and Mary being selfish and conniving. Overall, The Other Quuen kept my interest but it definitely was not the page turner that I am accustomed to when I read Philippa Gregory's Tudor novels. The action is much more interesting when it is taking place in the midst of the royal court.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Queen.