Mary's Reviews > From Beirut to Jerusalem

From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas L. Friedman

Jun 10, 12

Read from June 04 to 10, 2012

This book was written in 1989 so, in some ways, it is quite dated as it doesn't deal with current events in the area. Yet, as Mr. Friedman said just a few weeks ago, nothing has changed. The main players are different but the events are still the same. What I liked best about this book is how the author was able to get into the minds of the people of the area. And not always the big players, either. He put a lot of time into interviewing the man or woman on the street. He didn't choose sides. He presented objective opinions about Shiites and Maronites and Druse, about Israelis and Palestinians. His explanations of the loyalties to family and tribe, as opposed to loyalty to a country with arbitrary borders created by outsiders, was probably the best I have read. He seem to have a real understanding for the people and the events in the area. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the events in the Middle East.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Beirut to Jerusalem.