Stephanie Ricker's Reviews > Wind, Sand and Stars

Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Jun 05, 12

bookshelves: favorites, religion-and-philosophy, war, french
Read from May 28 to 30, 2012

I find that reading books about plane crashes while physically in a plane really enhances the flying experience. I told my mother that and she thought I was being facetious, but I was just being honest. I read Night Flight by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (author of The Little Prince) on the way to Michigan and Wind, Sand, and Stars by the same author on the way back, both of which include plane disasters. Both were exquisite, though not at all in the same way as The Little Prince, and both are about Saint-Exupery’s experiences as a pilot for the night-mails in South America and Africa during the 1920s and 1930s. Flying was still a perilous business then, and reading about the sort of men who chose that career was utterly fascinating. Perhaps there’s a bit of the philosopher in all pilots, or perhaps Antoine was just of a particularly thoughtful bent, but either way his musings on humanity and life and death were all very thought-provoking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wind, Sand and Stars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele Harrod I love it! I always carry something in my handbag on a plane, on the basis that if the plane crashes, I will need this before I am interviewed by the media. I did that after my first ever flight. And I guess it is strange as it meant I had/have no concept at all that I too might perish in a crash. I have even been in a 'near-miss' emergency landing once, with everyone else panicking and praying, or crying, and I was just there thinking 'wow, how exciting'. Odd, but true. I am flying to Thailand next month - I am going to read THIS just because I LOVE your very honest idea above!!!

message 2: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele Harrod Hmm, and I should upload The English Patient to watch as well!!

Stephanie Ricker Go for it! I hope you love the book, it's wonderful. I always find myself hoping for an exciting landing when I fly. Just a little crash, no injuries, just a little adventure. The few times I have expressed this desire to my seatmates, they were NOT appreciative. :P