Cathy Graham's Reviews > Encore Valentine

Encore Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

May 20, 12

Read in May, 2012

Once again we continue on with Valentine and her wacky extended Italian family in New York City. She is designing shoes and running the family shoe business now that her grandmother has married her love, Dominic in Italy and moved there. Valentine also has feelings for Gianluca, Dominic's son but is scared of commitment. Meanwhile Valentine discovers relatives in Argentina that they never knew about due to a rift between her great grandfather and his brother years ago.

The family has all kinds of upheavals and Valentine takes it all as it comes with the help of zany friends June and Gabriel whom I really enjoyed. For secondary characters, I thought they contributed a lot to the story and they both made me laugh. June is near 80 but seems like a young girl with her Bohemian free spirited ways and attitude. Gabriel, a gay guy is Valentine’s best friend and confidante. He always made me laugh.

The descriptions in this book are great and the details about the shoe making business are quite interesting and not overdone.

I love Adriana's characters who are so real, flawed, heartwarming and funny. I'm always sad to say goodbye to them at the end of a book and I go looking for more of her writing.

Wish my own writing was as good as Adriana's. Sigh. Something to aspire to.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encore Valentine.