Marjorie Friday Baldwin's Reviews > The Curse of Chalion

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

May 20, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in December, 2006, read count: 1

I don't read Fantasy genre, generally, and this book is High Fantasy at its best. The High Fantasy aspects of this book ruined it for me, but despite loathing all things High Fantasy, I enjoyed this book because Bujold's writing is of such a high calibre, it'd be impossible not to enjoy immersing oneself in her prose. She had me totally captured before I had finished Page 2. I could already feel my skin crawling at the High Fantasy tone of the book by that point, but I was soooo invested in the main character and his story--after just one page!!--that I couldn't put the book down.

I've never read any other books in this so-called Five Gods Universe of Bujold's but I'm sure they're just as good as CoC and I've heard her The Sharing Knife: Beguilement and Legacy books are big hits with the Fantasy genre readers. I'll stick to her Vorkosigan Saga (Space Opera) books, thanks. Writing calibre is still up there (more so IMO) but I get exploding space ships and weird aliens and some of the best world-building ever. Literally. She's built almost a dozen worlds in that universe so far, each in minute detail...because that's what A Bujold does. Like fine art or fine wine, the magic is in the details. Lois always weaves scintillating little details into her books. All of her books.

If I liked High Fantasy, I'd probably give this a 5-star rating but because the genre, itself, annoys the living daylights out of me, I give it 3 stars. It is definitely NOT due to any fault of the author, just the genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curse of Chalion.